Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer
Profile Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer
We currently seek a Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer for one of our clients. The key responsibility of the Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer is to manage and support the effective and safe commissioning of all site electrical systems on the within their teams allocated area.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Support delivery of the projects KPI’s, including cascading safety, quality and schedule KPI’s onto every individual in the team.
- Plan and execute all electrical activities from construction handover to safe and stable operation or their associated areas equipment.
- Provide front line hands on technical support to commission and troubleshoot the facility’s electrical related equipment.
- Manage a team of electrical technicians ensuring the completion of their tasks in accordance with electrical regulations.
- Record and approve all task completions by the engineer for their teams work lists.
- Work closely with the commissioning manager, commissioning team leads, safety engineer and the electrical construction supervisor.
- Focus on schedule and the support of pre-commissioning activities in order to work towards collective goals of projects.
- Ensure the on schedule handover and validation of all site electrical systems in accordance with internal and external regulation within the project schedule.
- Work closely alongside the construction team and construction contractors to ensure the achievement of the mechanical completion milestone.
- Ensure all electrical work is carried out according to safety procedures, ensuring KPIs are met or exceeded.
- Actively participate and lead in department/plant safety programmes and promote safe working practices for contractors and staff.
- Ensure the team completes all functional checks with the correct documentation and validation procedures.
- Ensure the validity of hand over documents represented and update redline master documents.
- Validate the shutdown and safety systems are operational before hand over to the next stage in the commissioning.
- Ensure the team commissioning complete of VSD drives, transformers, and HV & LV switch gear with protection relays.
- Ensure the team commissioning complete of HV & LV motors and generators.
- Keep abreast of and evaluate new methodologies, work practices, equipment, diagnostics, technology, etc., for application and use within the plant, highlighting their potential to your supervisor.
- Investigate and resolve E&I equipment upsets and failures in a timely and efficient manner.
- Determine root cause of failures and follow these up by recommending and implementing appropriate solutions to reduce re-occurrence of/or eliminate the cause of failures.
- Recommend and specify alterations and revisions to improve equipment and/or system reliability.
- Identify and escalate issues with equipment that could ultimately affect the plant and the schedule of the commissioning process.
Requirements Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering.
- Experience of commissioning or maintenance within engineering environments such as the power, petrochemical, steel, oil and gas industries, waste management or material handling.
- Knowledge of computer based applications (Microsoft Office) and a working knowledge of an completion system.
- COMPEX qualification.
- Familiarisation with IEE regulations.
- Ability to read single line drawings, P&IDs and other technical documentation.
- Knowledge of control systems such as DCS and PLCs.
- Knowledge of HV/MV & LV switchgear, protection devices, drives and distribution systems.
- Knowledge of HV/MV & LV motors, generators and transformers.
- Experience with the creation and development of commissioning specific procedures and training packages.
- Competences: good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, able to troubleshoot and make good and timely decisions in pressurised situations, flexible in terms of changing priorities, workload and working hours.